Books for Kids – Captain Underpants



With different gaming technology and their marketing strategies, having kids read actual books is becoming harder and harder these days.
Having a 9 year old niece, I would know. Getting her to sit down and read a book used to be a pain, since she saw it has punishment more than a fun activity.

This all changed one beautiful day, when a friend of hers let her borrow a book that he had gotten for his birthday. The book was called “Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds”.
Long story short, she fell in love with the book. I found her sitting on the living room by the window, all by herself, reading and laughing and having fun. I got way too excited about this, mostly because I love reading and at that moment I felt like I could now share this with her.

I ended up convincing her mother to buy the rest of the available collection in our country, and she has been loving these series.

When I was a little girl I had the opportunity to read the first book and even though I forgot the plot, I never forgot its name. And let’s be honest, who could forget a title like “Captain Underpants”?

The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1)
Source: Goodreads

Title: The Adventures of Captain Underpants
Series: Captain Underpants
Book #: 1
Author: Dav Pilkey
Release Date: September 1st 1997
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Scholastic




 First published in 1997, "The Adventures of Captain Underpants" tells the story of two friends, Harold and George, who love to pull pranks on people and write comic books for fun. Until one day they decide to order a 3-D Hypno-Ring and use it on their school principal Mr. Krupp, turning him into Captain Underpants. Since that day, everytime someone snaps their fingers, grumpy Mr. Krupp turns into Captain Underpants.



The author and illustrator of these books, Dav Pilkey – you can find his “full biography” here – uses not only comic like, black-and-white drawings but also several pages of flip-o-ramas – which my niece said to be her favorite part of the books - to engage readers.

Something curious about these series is that they made the 2013 Banned Books List, due to “offensive language” and also because they were found “unsuited for age group”. As an aunt and someone who read the books I cannot understand why these books made this list. I do not find the language offensive at all and neither does my niece, and if the people in charge of coming up with this list think that children will start defying every authority figure they find because of these books, they are highly mistaken.

But then again, I’m not a mother and I can understand that some parents are more protective than others and want their kids to not be exposed to silliness maybe? I honestly don’t know… Either way I’m here to discuss the books. If you want to read more about this list and what Dav Pilkey had to say about it click here.

2 comments

  1. What, i didn't know captain underpants was banned because of offensive language, that's weird... i used to love reading them when i was younger, i feel like kids should not miss on these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, these books are wonderful for kids, especially those who are not really into reading because it shows them that they can have fun while doing it.

      Delete