Review - The Book of Lost Things





Title: The Book of Lost Things
Author: John Connoly
Release Date: October 16th 2007
Pages: 470
Publisher: Washington Square Press

My Rating:


High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company.

But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness.

Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld.

While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.




My Thoughts



It's no secret that I love John Connoly. I got addicted to his Young Adult books from when I first read the 'Samuel Johnson' series. He has a particular way of making you connect with the characters that you end up feeling what they are feeling in a very deep way.

This book made me cry, and this rarely, very rarely happens, actually thinking about it, this may have been the first book that made me cry. It's sweet and fun and sometimes frustrating, it will take you on a emotional ride that you will love and once you are done with it, you will start thinking about your life and how you perceive things.

I could describe this book as being the story of a selfish and broken little boy who missed his mother very much, so much that he ended up letting his imagination take over, to the point of which he believed that things could change and his life could go back to what it used to be before his mother got sick. But life doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

On the first part of the book I took David's side and I could see how unfair his father was being towards him and how Rose didn't belong there with them. But as the book progressed I could see how unfair I was being, the same way David was. People move on with their lives and there's nothing we can do but accept that and try to move on with them while cherishing the lives of the ones we lost. Becoming bitter and angry about everything is not the answer. I should state, though, that deep down David was a brave little boy.

This book stroke me as quite violent though, too much blood and death in it but it made sense with the story and by the end of the book I was accepting of this. I also really liked the twist that certain commom fairytales had and I was quite please with their connection with the story.

The final pages were heartbreaking for me, I cried and I kept saying "no no no" and how unfair this was and this is not how books should go and why does John Connolly want to ruin my life when he doesn't even know me... But this book is like life and life isn't always fair.

2 comments

  1. I've been meaning to read this book for a while, and your review makes me want to read it even more! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kritika, and please please please read it as soon as you can! It is so so good! You'll love it.

      Delete