Review - The 5th Wave




Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Release Date: April 7th 2013
Pages: 460
Publisher: Penguin

My Rating:



The 1st Wave took out half a million people.

The 2nd Wave put that number to shame.

The 3rd Wave lasted a little longer, twelve weeks... four billion dead.

In the 4th Wave, you can't trust that people are still people.

And the 5th Wave? No one knows. But it's coming.

On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs. Runs from the beings that only look human, who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope.

Now Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death.


My Thoughts


I don't even know where to begin with this book! It was perfect, I absolutely loved it. Every line of it.

I'm a sucker for books about a  post apocalyptic world, especially if they include aliens or zombies, so when I first read the description for this book I had to read it.

“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.” - Stephen Hawking

This quote got it all started for me... And if you disagree with Stephen Hawking... well let's hope we never get to find out which one is right.

I never really heard of this author until I found 'The 5th Wave' but I know for sure I will read more of his books. Rick Yancey has a way of writing that is almost intoxicating because you always want to keep on reading and you end up experiencing the book as if you were the characters. And this is what I love about books, sometimes you get so into them that you become the characters.

When reading this, I became Cassie. I became the girl who was all alone in a world she couldn't trust anyone. I was the girl that saw her parents die and that made a promise to her little brother. I was the one desperate to find him.

I also became Zombie, a normal guy until 'he' found me, until 'he' made me into a stronger person, until 'he' made me promise I wouldn't run anymore, because that day I ran and I will never forgive myself for that.

All the characters of this book have their own set of personalities, all different but somehow they compliment eachother in a way that makes them perfect, even with all their flaws.

I really liked the way the book unveiled, having all of the chapters and characters somewhat connect, which made me fangirl incredibly hard and make unhuman noises that made the people around me consider the possibility that I may had lost my mind for good.

The hardest part for me was the end. I didn't want to finish this book. I didn't want to stop being Cassie or Zombie. I didn't want to find out who made it and who didn't. I just wanted to keep on believing that there was hope for all of them.

Overall, the way Rick Yancey presents us with an alien invasion is something I have never heard of before. They are not grey nor green little man that look human and they are not friendly. They have one main goal, and that is, kill us all.

Still I cannot believe I will have to wait until SUMMER 2014 to read the second book. I cannot wait this long!! Why Rick Yancey?? Whyyy???

No comments