Review - The Fault In Our Stars



Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Release Date: January 23rd 2013 (my edition)

My Rating:



Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



My Thoughts



If I had the opportunity to right a letter to John Green it would be something like:

Dear John Green,
Thanks for ruinning my life.

Best Regards,
Lii

Now seriously, this book, holly pizza crust, this book. Where to begin? 'The Fault In Our Stars' takes you through a roller coaster of emotions, it allows you to explore the deepest parts of your heart, the ones you didn't know have, or you didn't pay attention to. It will make you laugh and then cry and then cry some more.

I have never suffered this much while reading a book as I suffered with this one. I remember finishing some chapter and complaining about it to my sister or immediately text my best friend telling her all about it. I absolutely loved the characters, mostly because they were incredibly intelligent, the way they phrased things, actually the way John Green phrased their conversations, was brilliant. I never thought I would fall for a character the way I fell for Augustus Waters, and even though I know how this book ended, if I was Hazel Grace I wouldn't change a thing about it - and I'm sure she wouldn't either.

Like Hazel Grace Lancaster felt about her book 'An Imperial Affliction' I feel like I must know more about some characters in this book. How long did Hazel live? How did her parents deal with it? How about Isaac? Did he manage to fall in love again? Did Hazel's mother become a social worker after all and did she help many people? How did Gus's parents dealt with losing Hazel, assuming she died eventually? So many questions... I wonder how John Green would answer them.

After finishing it, I immediately placed it among my favorite books. Few are the books that make you think, that make you want to try harder, to understand more, to judge less. This is one of these books and I am sure I will read it over and over again until I die.

No comments