Review - Will Grayson, Will Grayson



Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green & David Levithan
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: April 5th 2011

My Rating:



One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths.

As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.



My Thoughts



Where to begin with this? Seriously I have no idea.

This is not my type of book, I will say this right now, but this book was freaking awesome. Why? Can't exactly tell, and that's the beauty of it. Sometimes certain books leave a mark on you, on your brain, on your soul and this is one of them.

Both Will Grayson's were quite different in almost every aspect besides their names, but they were both connected and their lives would never be the same after meeting eachother. I think they were both very interesting characters even though I ended up connecting more with the Will Grayson portraited by David Levithan, maybe because I live with depression, the same way his Will Grayson did. My favorite character would be Tiny Cooper though. He has such an amazing vibe to him, and he is so confident, yet vulnerable, that I ended up loving him. These are two things that I never mastered. How to be confident and vulnerable at the same time. I can never get past showing my vulnerabilities, and that makes me into a 'not so confident' person.

It was amazing to see the differences between John Green's writing and Davide Levithan's and the way the complimented eachother in a very intricate way. And to see the musical grow from a little bit of the plot into a very important part of the book, was astonishing. Reading about the musical made it feel so real to me. Brilliant really.

I don't know about other editions of this book, but mine had a little interview with the authors in its final pages. This interview was so fun to read, David Levithan explains why his Will Grayson never capitalizes words and John Green goes on about his first pages on the book on which he talks about picking your friend's nose. I ended up laughing out loud when I read that David Levithan wrote a song called 'I was born this way' and that he was waiting impatiently for Lady Gaga's version. Hilarious.

2 comments

  1. I love John Green! I'm a huge fan of his, and I am seriously dying to read this one. I've hear around that his writing is different from David Levithan's, but that's what I'm most excited about. I want to see how the complement each other, and now...I just want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My! Please do read this one, you'll love it, it was so different and interesting and at the same time, sweet. Their writing is completely different and at the end of the book there's this conversation between the two of them, that just elevates the book to another level. I really hope you enjoy it.

      Delete