Review - Looking for Alaska



Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: March 3rd 2005

My Rating:




Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

 After. Nothing is ever the same.




My Thoughts




This book was quite a ride for me - as have been all the John Green's books I've read so far.

Before

I connected so much with Pudge. He seemed such a great and sweet guy that I could not help but like him. I must admit that I fed on his experiences. Since I wish I could somehow start over somewhere new, or go away for a while I took the oportunity to imagine what it would be like and reading his experience helped me do so.
Alaska... Self-destructive teenage girl. That's a simple way to describe her. I could also connect with her in a deeper level than the way I did with Pudge, mostly because I could relate to her depressed state of mind - even though she seemed to be in and out of it, but mostly in.

This may sound a bit odd, but I could feel myself fall in love with her through Pudge. And this only comes to show how great John Green is. His writing is so amazing that you almost become each and every character of his books.

By the way... The Swan. You will only know what I'm talking about if you read this book but damn, I laughed out loud while reading this scene.

After

I suffered her loss almost like she was real. It actually hurt, to read these pages without her being there making remarks about women's rights or talking to Pudge.
Also, it was interesting to see how they all dealt with her loss and the guilt of letting her go. Everyone deals with loss in their own way, but seeing them strugle with the thought that maybe she commited suicide and trying to put the puzzle together, was kind of beautiful in its own weird way. They cared enough about her that they did not simply let go or forget it happen. I believe they honored their friendship by doing what they did.

One of my favorite quotes from this book was really at the end of it and it goes like:

"We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken."

No comments