Review - A Red Tale


*This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*



Title: A Red Tale
Author: Nicola Mar
Publisher: Smith Publicity
Release Date: March 20th 2014

My Rating:



Snow has been falling on the Caribbean island of St. Michael for years, diminishing plant and animal life and leading to extinction. But underneath the island's ocean lies Surritz--a tropical, magical realm where water dragons known as Wayters have discovered their power of reason.

After being hypnotized, fifteen-year-old Stasia Forrester meets Billy, a Wayter that makes her realize she has the ability to reverse global cooling. But Stasia has something that Billy wants, and to get it, Stasia must travel back in time. She soon discovers that her connection to Surritz is more complicated than she could have ever imagined. When love starts to guide her conscience, she faces tough choices. 

How will her decisions affect global cooling if her needs are more important to her than saving humanity? Does she trust that Billy is telling her the truth? If so, she may lose the only true love she has ever known.



My Thoughts




What first got me when I saw this book was, obviously, the cover. The art in it is so beautiful that it got me almost hypnotized. It's simple yet complicated and at the same time it shows what the book is about. This is quite rare these days and I applaud to the artist who made this.

When it comes to the book itself, I loved it. The plot was surprisingly interesting and deep despite the fact that its description makes out for a very simple and shallow story. I must say it though, this book is not by any means shallow! It was so beautiful that I cannot put down to words how much it touched me. But we'll get to that in a minute.

Stasia to me was a very strong character, she was also naive to a certain extent. This though, did not prevent her from dealing with the problems that she was faced with. I actually loved the way she 'traveled' between herself and Nina. This character was also very captivating, her love for Abe was so strong that she didn't even flinched when faced with the oportunity to join him, even if it meant dying.

One thing that made me feel kind of bad was how Stasia didn't get to see her friends after her adventure, I would like to see her fall in love and all.

Right at the beginning of this review I mentioned that this book touched me, and even though I can't really explain how it touched, I can share a quote from it, that means a lot and made me think:

“Until now, I never understood that part of life was not understanding it. That we can’t plan everything, or know everything, or want everything. It was about believing that someone out there was looking out for us, planning our next move for us. Telling us to trust our instincts and that it was okay to feel insecure. To just let go.” 

This quote just says so much and at the same time not enough. I love it.

All in all, 'A Red Tale' is a beautiful book, its author was able to picture a fantastic world on which you could get lost in. Also her writing is quite easy to understand and simple, though her descriptions can be very complex at times.

No comments