Review - Splintered



Title: Splintered
Author: A.G. Howard
Series: Splintered
Book #: 1
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: January 1st 2013

My Rating:



This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.




My Thoughts




Anita G. Howard manages to depict an amazing, beautiful and creepy version of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland that never stopped to amaze me while I was reading this book. A true piece of (he)art.

When it comes to the environment of the book, I must say it was truly beautiful and incredibly easy to visualize. This author has a true gift, that allows her to put down into words these amazing scenarios in such a detailed manner that it becomes a very natural thing for the reader to see what A.G. Howard intended us to. And this is not a very commom trait when it comes to fantasy writers and that's why some of them fail to make amazing books.

As for the plot itself, I found it incredibly appeasing. It's no secret that I am in love with 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' retellings, so once I read the summary for this book (and saw its astonishing cover), I knew I had to read it.
'Splintered' sets a very high standart from it's cover art to its summary and it does not disappoint.

Let's talk characters... This is a bit complicated for me since I did not really like all of them.
Alyssa, the main character, was a very sweet girl with a bit of a rebel tinge. Through out the book she seems to grow from an insecure adolescent to a more self confident one. Watching this character grow like this was interesting.
I must admit that it annoyed me a little bit everytime she urged to be embraced by Jeb and somehow felt safer in his arms, mostly because I didn't really like Jeb.
This character, from the beginning of the book, gave me a bad impression since it always made you believe that Alyssa couldn't fend for herself. He was always trying to protect her, or better yet, overprotect her. To me Jeb's presence made me feel a bit claustrophobic because he didn't give Alyssa the space she needed to think for herself. Even though, this attitude from Jeb could somewhat be explained by his past and previous experiences, it still annoyed me to the core.

Morpheus, oh Morpheus...
I really like how A.G. Howard visualized the Caterpillar in her version of Wonderland. It was brilliant to made him go through a metamorphosis and become this wonderful and incredibly attractive (at least in my mind) man. Even though, Morpheus character is always a concern through out this book, I must say he was by far my favorite character. With his mysterious ways and wicked plans, he won my heart (and he should have won Alyssa's too!).

One thing that I hope to see in more detail in the next book, is the Cheshire cat. He needs to have a major role somewhere during this series!!

All in all, I loved it and I cannot wait to read Unhinged!

1 comment

  1. I really need to get on reading this book and your review makes me want to read it even more. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it =D
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete