Review - The Hunger Games



Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games
Book #: 1
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: December 1st 2011 (First Published 2008)

My Rating:



Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death.

In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

May the odds be ever in your favour.



My Thoughts



After refusing to watch the movies until I got to read the books, for about 2 years (or almost that) I decided to dive into the world of Panem.

I really liked this book. It was amazing and gripping from beginning to end!

The plot for this book is something truly unbelievable and the way Collins portrays it, is just amazing. You can actually visualize everything about District 12 and the Capitol - the regions she goes into most detail - and this to me is precious in a book.

When it comes to the characters, Katniss is one of the few young female characters I had the pleasure to meet, that is already a fighter when the 'trouble' begins. Most books depict young female characters as some fragil being until trouble arrives and they have to grow in order to survive. This does not happen in this book. Although Katniss does suffer some changes, for the good, throughout her 'adventure', or better yet, fight for survival, she already comes into picture as strong and independent.

As for Peeta, I really really liked him and I am fangirling about him and Katniss but something tells me it won't happen.

At the moment I am about to finish 'Catching Fire' the second book in the trilogy and I can say that it wasn't as gripping at first but it gets better towards the middle.

All in all it is a good book and I would recommend it to everyone who likes dystopian books.

2 comments

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I love love this series, and I'm a crazy fangirl when it comes to Peeta. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Peeta is the one for Katniss I just know it :P

      I just finished book 2 and it was a freaking good ending. I will take a break and then go to book 3. :)

      Delete