Series Highlight - The Spiderwick Chronicles



Title: The Spiderwick Chronicles - The Completely Fantastical Edition
Authors: Tony DiTerlizzi & Holly Black
Book#: 1 - 5
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

My Rating (Overall):



Brownies, phookas, and sprites are just a few of the creatures that the Grace children, thirteen-year-old Mallory and nine-year-old twins Jared and Simon, discover in their dilapidated old house. The mysterious goings-on at the Spiderwick Estates are documented in the wonderfully gothic tales known collectively as The Spiderwick Chronicles.

The five volumes in the series, written by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi, have all hit the New York Times children's best-seller list, and have sold a total of more than one million books to date.



My Thoughts




After seeing this amazing edition, filled with extras, like concept drawings, drawings from other authors and 'lost' chapters, I knew I had to have it.

I found this series to be incredibly lovely, especially since they are aimed at a younger crowd. I liked the writing very much, you could really not tell that two people were doing it, and I enjoyed the illustrations a whole lot more.

When it comes to the plot and characters, they were simple enough, made to catch your attention and draw you into this world of fantasy where monsters and fairies exist.

Even though I feel like I would have enjoyed this series much more if I was younger, this was quite an adventure for me. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a light fantasy read.

No comments