Review - Far Far Away




Title: Far Far Away
Author: Tom McNeal
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: June 11th 2013

My Rating: 



Jeremy Johnson Johnson hears voices. Or, specifically, one voice: the ghost of Jacob Grimm, one half of The Brothers Grimm. Jacob watches over Jeremy, protecting him from an unknown dark evil whispered about in the space between this world and the next. But Jacob can't protect Jeremy from everything.

When coltish, copper-haired Ginger Boultinghouse takes a bite of a cake so delicious it’s rumored to be bewitched, she falls in love with the first person she sees: Jeremy.

In any other place, this would be a turn for the better for Jeremy, but not in Never Better, where the Finder of Occasions—whose identity and evil intentions nobody knows—is watching and waiting, waiting and watching. . . And as anyone familiar with the Brothers Grimm know, not all fairy tales have happy endings.




My Thoughts




"What follows is the strange and fateful tale of a boy, a girl, and a ghost." From this first sentence along with the synopsis from this book I expect an amazing adventure that would stay in my mind forever. Well I can say that I won't really forget this book but not really because of its plot.

The reason why I gave this book 3 stars was because the plot was missing something. Or maybe it was the writing itself. I don't really know since I'm purely a reader and not a writer. But I do know it was missing something, because I somewhat felt left down at the end of the book.
Do not get me wrong because I would not change the fact that I have read it nor did I not finish the book, now did I? This book was still a very sweet book not because of the plot, but because of the characters.

The main characters, to me, were very well designed. Jeremy was made for you to feel only sympathy towards him and never give up on him nor the fact that he would deserve and get his happy ending. Jeremy was such a lovely kid, kind, shy and hardworking.
Ginger on the other side was always a little annoying to me until almost the very end of the book where she start showing her true warrior side. I can say though that I cannot envision this book without her.

I could go on and on about the characters that I loved in this book but it would take a while and perhaps spoil it for you. But I do still need to mention the wonderful Jacob Grimm which to me was the sweetest character ever. He never gave up on anything! Perseverance was a must in his mind. And I absolutely loved this. He kept Jeremy focused on his studies and always had his very best interests in mind no matter what he did.

I honestly hope more people get to read this book and appreciate all the characters in it the same way I did or perhaps even more. I know I won't forget them anytime soon, that's for sure.

1 comment

  1. beautiful blog! I followed you via GFC and bloglovin :) I'll be dropping by sometimes :)
    Vanilla Reads

    ReplyDelete