Review - The Knife of Never Letting Go




Title: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: Chaos Walking
Book #: 1
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: October 22nd 2008

My Rating:



Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks.

Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World?

Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.



My Thoughts



When I first heard of this book, I only knew about the hability of hearing other people's thoughts. Nothing else. I was not expecting spaceships, aliens, two moons, cows the size of houses nor this fierce little boy who would break my heart into tiny little pieces.

Patrick Ness created here a wonderful new world, where everything isn't what it seems and most importantly this world he created is so full of action that even when you finish a chapter you cannot wait to star the next one.

I absolutely loved this book, the characters, the world, the writing... Omg the writing! Patrick Ness was so emerged in this world himself that he even wrote like the characters would, literally. For instance, the word situation would be situashun and so on. I absolutely loved that, but I must admit that it took me a while to get into his writing because of this.

When it comes to the characters, at first I had a hard time connecting with Todd, mostly because he seemed like a little kid (which he was) but then as time went by he became much more than that. That freaking kid will hold a place in my heart forever because I don't think I could have managed to live through what he has. He became a man (if you read this book you'll catch this) and in a very good way.
Viola was a favorite of mine too, she was sweet and brave and she never gave up even when life was throwing all the rocks it had at her face (but that ending though).
And Manchee, my sweet Manchee, Todd's dog. What a sweet little annoying and loyal dog he was, I cannot stop thinking about him.

Now, even though I loved this book I do need a break from it because it was so packed with action and emotions that if I continue I'm afraid to not be able to actually savour this trilogy if that even makes sense. So maybe next month I'll pick up the next book in this series.

If you have read this book please let me know, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

2 comments

  1. I actually started this one and never finished but I think I'll like it when I'm able to get through it. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should most certainly finish it! It gets so much better as you go through it. Please let me know if you end up giving it a second chance!

      Delete