Review - Adulthood is a myth




Title: Adulthood is a Myth: A "Sarah's Scribbles" collection
Author: Sarah Andersen
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing

Rating: 




Are you a special snowflake? Do you love networking to advance your career? Have you never wasted a fresh new day surfing the internet? Ugh. This book is not for you. Please go away.

Sarah's Scribbles — casually drawn, perfectly on-point comics by young Brooklyn-based artist Sarah Andersen — confront head-on the horrors, anxiety, and awkwardness of modern adult life. From the agony of holding hands with a gorgeous guy to the yawning pit of hell that is the wifi gone down to the eye-watering pain of eating too-hot pizza because one cannot stand to wait for it to cool down, Sarah fearlessly documents it all.

Like the work of fellow Millennial authors Allie Brosh, Grace Helbig, and Gemma Correll, Sarah's total frankness on extremely personal issues such as body image, self-consciousness, introversion, relationships, and bra-washing makes her comics highly relatable and consistently hilarious.




My Thoughts



"Adulthood is a myth" is an incredible, fantastic, amazing relatable graphic novel.

I have been following Sarah's Scribbles on Facebook for a while now, and I have always enjoyed her art and especially the fact that she made me realize that I am not alone. I am not the only anxious, introvert person worrying, for example, if my boyfriend likes me even if we have been together for almost 2 years now. Nor am I the only person struggling with adulthood or wanting to be with people and regretting it immediately and the most important and relatable thing (or almost the most important) being stressed, telling someone about it and hearing "You should stop worrying so much" like I HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT THAT ACTUALLY THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SOLVING ALL MY PROBLEMS!

So this book was awesome. I am 100% sure I will read it again and again. Totally recommend it for everyone.

Plus, the actual artwork is incredibly talented and funny.

No comments