Review - City of Bones






Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Book #: 1
Publisher: Walker Books

Rating:




When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.





My Thoughts




This book was quite enjoyable! I was deadly afraid of not enjoying it because of the hype around it, but I must confess I am pleasantly surprised!

The plot was really good, everybody knows I have a soft spot for angels and demons, and the characters were relatable and interesting, for the most part.
I didn't particularly like Clary, she seemed annoying and she coped with everything a little too easily, in my eyes. Jace was the epitomy was sarcasm and therefore is my spirit animal. Isabelle I didn't really cared for, Alec was sweet. Bane I didn't get enough from, Valentine was perfect (in my head he was the guy who played Lucifer on Supernatural) and Simon was just plain silly... In a good way.

City of Bones was very easy to read, didn't have any difficult language - has a person whose second language is English this is very important to me - and it flowed right.

Now... That plot twist though!!! I honestly didn't see it coming for most of the book, and when I thought I knew what it was, I didn't want to believe it until I finally read it. I just kept thinking "oh hell not!" and "oh no she didn't!", but she did and thank God for that because it will make the rest of the books and the feels, more real for me.

I will continue with this series this year, I don't think that I will be watching the TV show, mostly because I don't really like the actors and I will take breaks in between the books because I'm afraid of getting a book slump over them.

Worth the read and the 4 stars. Recommend.

No comments