Review: The Girl on The Train


Source: Goodreads

Title: The Girl on the Train
Author: Paula Hawkins
Publisher: Riverhead Books

My Rating:



Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


My Thoughts


What a freaking ride!

First of all let me get something out of my chest... This is nothing like "Gone Girl"... Like absolutely nothing alike. I actually didn't really enjoy "Gone Girl" and as you can see I really loved "The Girl on the Train".

From the first couple of pages, I was hooked. We follow a very unstable and unreliable main character, Rachel, who seems not to be able to get her life together.
I felt sorry for her from the beginning, mostly because I felt like what happened to her could happen to anyone and that our lives can shift from good to terrible in a second.
She clearly has issues, and let me tell you she got me all stressed and annoyed several times during my read. I literally wanted to shake and maybe slap her a couple of times so she would stop being so god damn stupid. This being said, she is a very lovely character, she just doesn't seem to have the ability to make the most reasonable of choices.

The plot for this book is quite interesting but I won't share anything other than the goodreads synopsis, because I went into it blind and I believe that enhanced my experience.

We do get two more perspectives, from two other women and that, made the book. If you have read the book, you may agree with me when I say that if we had a man's perspective in this it would probably take away most of the thrilling factor from it.

What got me in this book, was the fact that I really didn't see it coming. I mean not at all! Now that I have finished it, I can look back and say "Damn I was so stupid, it was right there!!", but what can you do? I was focused on Rachel the entire time and didn't really had time to analyze much else.

Also the writing... It was so easy to read and to understand. Paula Hawkins writes very fluidly and when it comes to thrillers, that makes all the diference.

I recommend this to everyone who enjoys thrillers.

No comments