Review: The Sixth Event


*This book was sent to me through NetGalley in exchange for a honest review*


Source: Goodreads

Title: The Sixth Event
Author: Kristen Morie-Osisek
Publisher: Smashwords Edition

My Rating:



Eighteen-year-old Raquel isn't eighteen anymore...

During Raquel's first semester of college, she witnesses the end of the world, only to wake up in her old room at her parents' house two years in the past. Even worse, it seems she's the only one who remembers—until Chris Lyley, a boy Raquel always thought was a loser, tells her he remembers the catastrophe.

Before long, they both discover new abilities. They're able to understand any language and teleport through time and space. If Raquel and Chris can figure out what caused the end of their world, maybe they can stop it.

My Thoughts

Oh My God, what a ride! I have absolutely no idea why this book isn't on everybody's radar, but it should definitely be.

First of all this isn't you typical apocalyptic YA novel where a couple of americans set out to save the world. This book actually makes the Apocalypse a global thing, as it should be. There's one kid for every major country (Russia, South Africa, Australia, Brazil, China, United Kingdom and the United States) and together they try to figure out if they can save the world. You'll realise that there's two kids from one country but you'll figure out why at somepoint in the book.

The plot was very intriguing and it took all my strength to put the book down. I read it in pretty much a day! It was that interesting.

The characters are really likeable, and I particularly enjoyed how they dealt with eachother and how relationships arose for some of them. The writing was simple and easy to understand, but there were some spelling mistakes in the copy I got. Also I believe there were some inconsistencies with some parts of the story but that may only be due to the fact that I read the book so fast that I may have missed a couple of things.

The author really invested some time researching into the major extinction events Earth has experienced in order to develop the storyline and I really appreciated that. So if you enjoy reading about dinosaurs and what Earth may have looked like before humans came along, you will really like this book.
Also the concept of memory was neatly explored and it fascinated me to no end.

There's only one minor complaint I have... It messed with my anxiety really bad ahah I am terrified of something happening in a global scale that we cannot avoid, but at the same time I love reading about it, so my heart was beating a little too fast for most parts of this book.

All in all I loved "The Sixth Event" and I really hope it gets the notoriety that it deserves. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys apocalyptic books or dinosaurs really.

This is one of those books that I would love to display on my shelves.

No comments