Review: The Wrath & the Dawn


Source: Goodreads

Title: The Wrath and the Dawn
Author: Renée Ahdieh
Series: The Wrath and the Dawn
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

My Rating:




A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.




I gave in into the hype with this one. Everyone kept talking about how good this was and how awesome everything about it was, so I just got it and read it.

Unfortunately I was not very impressed with it.




The plot was utterly interesting! I mean a king who kills his brides every freaking dawn and somehow this girl manages to stay alive? Also she wants revenge on her bestfriend's murder? Sign me in.
Even as the plot changed through out the book, I kept my interest up because, a girl needs to know what happens you know?





The setting was a bit out of the norm for me. I have never read a book with an arabian vibe to it, for lack of a better word. I did deeply love to read and absorb everything that I could about the country and the traditions and customs. It was a fairytale on itself just for the setting.

Khorasan (it literally means heart) just seemed straight out of Aladdin, to be honest. I loved reading about it.




These characters got me good and not all for the good reasons.

Shazi - She's the main character and the most annoying of them all. I do understand that if she didn't behave the way she did, actually, if she wasn't that way, she would end up dead but please, could you be more annoying? She has such a freaking atittude I couldn't deal with it. Seriously. I think I rolled my eyes about a thousand times everytime she opened her mouth.

General Aref al-Khoury - Jalal's father, Khalid's uncle and head of security at the palace. He was a pain in the ass aswell... Couldn't stand him. Incredibly arrogant.

Jalal al-Khoury - Captain of the palace guard. I freaking adore Jalal ok? He made this book so much easier to read. He had wits and was funny but still knew how to do his job. He brought light to this book. He's easily my favorite character.

Khalid Ibn al-Rashid - Caliph of Khorasan. He had a weird tendency to kill his brides, but he had a good reason to do it I guess? It crossed my mind a couple of times why he never considered taking his own life instead. And no, I am not saying that suicide would he the answer to his problems, but it should at least cross his mind before he decided that he had no other choice but to kill innocent girls right? No? I don't know.

Despina - This woman was so stubborn my god... I loved her. I could read an entire book about her and Jalal and I would be content. By the way, she's Jalal's lover.

Tariq Imran al-Ziyad - I didn't like him aswell... He simply doesn't know when to stop or stay quiet. Also he doesn't take no for an answer.





The writing in this book did it for me, otherwise I am pretty sure I would have DNF'ed it. The author has a way to get you so emerged in the book that you simply get lost in the world of Khorasan and how gorgeous its culture is.

I must confess that the sexy parts in this book, aka Shazi and Khalid falling in love, were my favorite parts to read. The author made the way the looked at eachother and the way they kissed so sexy. Argh I loved it. 

Towards the end, stuff hit the fun and it ended in a cliff hanger... HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME RENÉE? 
I am incredibly interested in knowing what happens next and I didn't even dislike this book, it was that some of the characters rub me off the wrong way and there was nothing spectacular about the plot you know what I mean?

I do recommend this book if you're looking for something with amazing writing and if you want to read something different from the typical white girl in the USA kind of book.
I am going to read the next book as soon as I can.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it?

No comments